Olympic National Park

Wilderness Adventures 

Index | Sightseeing | Area Information | Ecology | Hiking | Camping | Additional Images

Wilderness Camping Permits
    Wilderness Camping Permits are required for all overnight stays in the Olympic National Park backcountry.

    Wilderness Camping Permits are used to track the numbers of visitors in different areas to prevent over crowding and resource damage. Wilderness permits are also used to locate overdue or lost parties. If you have not filled out a permit, searchers may not know where to start looking for you.

    During 1999, almost 50,000 people backpacked in Olympic National Park. Many wilderness visitors are unaware of the impacts their actions might have on plants, wildlife, water quality (human waste), and other visitors. 

    In order to protect the wild character of the Olympic Wilderness for future generations, The National Park Service wishes to increase its education efforts.

    Because trailhead or road signs have proven to be an ineffective educational tool, the goal is to have a personal contact with all of Olympic's wilderness visitors in order to discuss food storage, Leave No Trace camping, human waste concerns, safety issues, trail conditions, etc.

    Beginning May 1, 2001, permits will  be available at the WIC in Port Angeles and some staffed ranger stations during business hours only.  You may contact the WIC at the following address:

    Olympic National Park
     Wilderness Information Center
    600 East Park Avenue
     Port Angeles, WA 98362
    (360) 565-3100

    Overnight quotas are in effect for a number of high-use wilderness camp areas to help minimize resource impacts and provide a quality wilderness experience. 
  • Quota areas are: Ozette Coast, Grand and Badger Valleys, Royal Basin, Lake Constance, Flapjack Lakes, Sol Duc/Seven Lakes Basin area.  
  • Permits for Grand Valley, Badger Valley  and all Hurricane Ridge area trips must be obtained through the WIC. 
  • If you will be camping in a quota area, you must obtain your permit at the WIC or a staffed ranger station during business hours.
Within quota areas:
  • Camping is permitted only in designated sites. 
  • Campsites are not individually assigned but are available to permit holders on a first come, first served basis. 
  • Deviation from your permit itinerary is not allowed, except in cases of emergency. 
    Reservations for permits may be made no more than 30 days in advance for trips between May 1 and September 30 by calling the WIC. A reservation is not a permit. Reserved permits for quota areas must be picked up at the WIC or a staffed ranger station during business hours.
  • Ozette Coast............Advance reservations are required for backcountry trips between May 1 and  September 31. 
  • Grand Valley (Obstruction Pt. to Grand Pass including Lake Lillian), Badger Valley,  Royal Basin, Sol Duc/Seven Lakes Basin, Lake Constance, Flapjack lakes.............50% advance reservations available but not required. 
  • Hoh ............Reservations are available for group sites (sites for 7-12 persons) and stock sites only.

Wilderness Use Fee

    Wilderness use fees help support wilderness management projects like trail maintenance, backcountry bridge replacement, pit toilets, revegetation projects and the WIC. 

    In 1997, based on Congressional direction, Olympic National Park began charging fees for overnight stays in the wilderness. Eighty percent of the fees collected are returned directly to the park for wilderness management projects. The other twenty percent goes to parks that do not charge fees.

    Olympic's wilderness also provides many free eco-services.

    Wilderness Use Fee:
    $5 to register for a permit to camp overnight in the wilderness (for groups up to 12 people), plus $2 per person per night. 

    There is no nightly charge for youth 16 years of age and under. Annual passes are available for frequent visitors for $30; $15 for each additional household member. Discounts associated with Golden Age and Golden Access Cards apply. 

    Maximum rates:
     $50.00 for trips up of to 14 nights with a party of up to 6 people 
     $100.00 for trips of up to 14 nights with groups of 7-12 people 

    How to pay:
    The WIC in Port Angeles, accepts Visa and Mastercard, checks and cash. At ranger stations where wilderness permits are available, Wilderness Use Fees may be paid by cash or check only. At self-registration trailheads register boxes contain envelopes (with printed  instructions), which are are stapled to blank permits. Upon completion of your outing, mail your payment in the envelope. Do  not  leave payment in trailhead permit boxes. 

    U.S. Forest Service Northwest Forest Passes
    US Forest Service Northwest Forest Passes are required when parking at Olympic National Forest trailheads. Some areas of Olympic National Park are accessed by trails originating in Forest Service areas. Both Park Service and Forest Service registration and fee procedures may apply. Northwest Forest Passes are available at all Olympic National Forest offices and a number of  commercial outlets. The fee is $5 per vehicle per day. An annual Trail Park Pass is available for $30, good for a calendar year. Call (360) 956-2400 for more information.

Additional Fees:
$1...........  Daily parking fee at Ozette trailhead
$10......... Seven Day Entrance Pass. Entrance fees are charged at Staircase, Hurricane, Elwha, Sol Duc and the Hoh. 
$20.........  Annual Park Entrance Pass,  good for 12 months from issue




For Additional Information Contact:

Olympic National Park
600 East Park Avenue
Port Angeles, WA 98362-6798
(360) 452-0329


For more information visit the National Park Service website