Ellis Island was incorporated as part of the Statue of Liberty National Monument on May 11, 1965. Between 1892 and 1954, approximately 12 million steerage and third class steamship passengers, who entered the United States through the port of New York, were legally and medically inspected at Ellis Island. Reopened on September 10, 1990 after a massive restoration, the Main Building on Ellis Island is now a museum dedicated to the history of immigration and the important role this island claimed during the mass migration of humanity in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Ellis Island is Federal property within the shared territorial jurisdiction of the States of New York and New Jersey. Currently the Main Building is the only building open for public viewing and is one of nearly three dozen structures on the island. The park is open daily except Dec. 25th.
The Ellis Island Immigration Museum offers a variety of exhibits and programs about the history of Ellis Island and the immigration process. Immigrants were processed in the "Main Building" at Ellis Island while the immigration station was open between 1892 and 1954. Today, the Main Building is a three floor museum, containing a variety of self-guided permanent exhibits.
Ranger-Guided tours of the Main Building are offered throughout the day. These 45-minute tours are free. A daily schedule of programs is listed at the information desk located in the first-floor baggage room.
$13 - Ages 13 and older
$10 - Seniors 62 and older
$5 - Children 4-12
The park is accessible by Statue Cruises. One round trip ferry ticket includes visits to Liberty and Ellis Islands. Ferries depart from Battery Park in New York City and Liberty State Park in Jersey City, New Jersey. Battery Park is located at the Southern tip of Manhattan, off the West Side Highway South or the FDR Drive South. Liberty State Park in New Jersey is located off exit 14B of the New Jersey Turnpike.